Offering Experienced Legal Counsel For Bicycle Collisions
Whether for exercise, to avoid traffic on your commute, or to help the environment, bicycling is a great way to get around Los Angeles County and beyond. Unfortunately, it can also be very dangerous as roadways are often full of negligent and distracted motorists, not to mention the road itself can be in disrepair or fail to have an adequate bike lane or shoulder. If the unthinkable happens and you suffer a bicycle injury accident, know that we have your back, will hold all responsible parties accountable, and seek to maximize your recovery so you can focus on your health and returning to a normal life.
Why do bicycle accidents happen and what are some related statistics?
- Distracted drivers of motor vehicles, including cars, motorcycles, trucks, SUV’s, and busses
- Speeding drivers
- Unobservant drivers
- Excessive gravel on roadway
- Uneven pavement or pavement in disrepair
- Lack of an adequate shoulder
- Drivers who fail to yield before making left turns
- Motor vehicles that fail to fully stop at traffic signals, such as stop signs and right turns on red
- Failure to have a bike lane
- Nighttime riding, including lighting and visibility issues
- Alcohol or drugs (whether the driver of a motor vehicle or the cyclist)
What type of injuries are common?
Bicycle injuries can often be very severe and require extensive, long-term, and costly medical treatment. Common injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Broken bones and fractured bones
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis (permanent, temporary, partial, or full)
- Nerve damage and injuries, including loss of feeling and numbness
- Internal damage to organs
- Dislocated joints (especially shoulders)
- Tendon and ligament damage, tears, and sprains
- Lacerations and abrasions
- Muscle strains and sprains
- Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other mental health issues
- Wrongful death
Proving liability against at-fault parties is what we do. Once we are on your case, we immediately mobilize with investigations and detailed fact-finding to turn over every stone and gather all necessary evidence, so we can get a complete picture of what happened and who is likely at fault. Our bicycle injury lawyers use that information along with investigations of their own, which include, among other things, site visits, research, and witness interviews, to put a winning strategy together. Once your personal injury lawsuit is filed, we then use aggressive discovery techniques and targeted questioning in a deposition to get to the truth. Even if a police report is against you, our tactful and skilled personal injury attorneys can prove the reporting officer was either wrong or misinformed. If it goes to trial, we have the resources to handle your case from start to finish.
How long will my bicycle accident injury case take?
In many cases, it is necessary to file a lawsuit to gather important evidence, prove liability, determine your injuries, and maximize your recovery. The statute of limitations to file your bicycle injury lawsuit is two years, however many exceptions and rules apply, especially if you must file a lawsuit against a public entity, which drastically cuts short the time to file a Government Claim form down to six (6) months, among many other requirements that can easily end your case. This is why we recommend seeking legal help right away.
What can I claim as part of my bicycle injury lawsuit?
- Medical costs
- Lost earnings
- Lost earnings capacity
- Property damage
- Out of pocket expenses, including medical insurance co-pays, medication, and others
- Retraining or education to acquire a job you are able to perform if you are disabled
- Any other expenses or lost opportunities you have incurred as a result of your bike accident
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death (loss of support, loss of companionship, loss of love, and many others)
- Loss of consortium (for the spouse of the injured victim)
- Any other non-economic losses that you’ve suffered as a result of your bicycle crash
Contact Us To Discuss Your Case
If you have experienced injuries, contact an attorney at Salusky Law Group. Call us at (562) 855-0004 to schedule a case evaluation.